The post-tensioning technology being performed by stretching (tensioning) reinforcement in the concrete (post-tensioning) is applied in many areas of construction. The application of the particular method allows forming constructions of pre-tensioned reinforced concrete, meaning less consumption of applied materials (reinforcement and concrete) and thinner floor slabs providing increased span lengths and expanded possibilities in development of design and architectural solutions.
Constructions of pre-stressed reinforced concrete being formed by post-tensioning method are applied in construction of such buildings and structures as:
- Residential or office buildings, hotels, shopping malls, schools, libraries etc.;
- Aboveground and underground parking lots, built-in or separately built garages in residential buildings, shopping malls and airports;
- Multi-span bridge structures without application of temporary supports during construction;
- Slabs-on-ground, particularly in cases of low load bearing capacity of the ground. On these slabs residential and industrial buildings can be constructed afterwards;
- Liquid tanks, siloses, dams;
- Sports facilities, stadiums and tribunes (stands);
- Constructing highways and runways;
- Underground tunnels and excavations as well as support vertical structures being subjected to the ground pressure.
The post-tensioning method also has been successfully applied in repair and increase of load bearing capacity of the reinforced concrete structures.
One of the most prospective applications of pre-tensioning technology by stretching (tensioning) reinforcement in the concrete (post-tensioning) is construction of buildings in seismically active areas. The buildings being constructed applying this particular method have high resistance (strength) and relatively low weight.